Thursday, April 8, 2010

GOING BACK TO MY ROOTS...

So, late last night as I was finishing up some editing, I decided to browse through my old website. Yes, I do have a website. It is extremely OLD. In fact, I would never send my clients there now because it would be too embarrassing to show them my work! Ha ha! I have worked hard to improve my shooting skills and mostly my editing over the past three years. I was laughing so hard at some of my black and white and sepia images! They were pretty sad looking:( Oh well, you've gotta start out somewhere, right?

The thing that surprised me, as I was looking through the galleries at some of my very first kid shoots, I noticed that I used to do a lot more "running around" with the kids, I would following them and pretty much just be an "observer" with a camera. I didn't try and do too much posing. And although my editing did pretty much stink, the actual images that I would capture were, well... pretty gosh darn good! There were a lot of natural expressions, laughter and creative NATURAL posing. I still try and shoot like that, but I think I need to get back to my true photographer's eye. The eye that is candid, photojournalistic.

When you are trying to improve as a photographer, you definitely look at others work and try to learn from their techniques. I think it is such a valuable way to learn, but if you are not careful, you can end up trying too hard to mimic someone else's style and you just become another photo shooter in the mix. If you try and shoot like someone else, you'll never really find your own style. It is only holding you back.

So, I am going to get back to my roots. The photographer that I REALLY am. I am excited about this. I think this might be the pivotal moment in my photography work.

No comments:

Post a Comment